RE: QTVR and VRML example

Robert Saint John (rwcsj@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 11:10:19 -0400

From: Sandy Ressler[SMTP:sressler@oops.ncsl.nist.gov]
Subject: QTVR and VRML example

>OK gang it's time to put up or shut up as they say.
>Following the suggestion of several of y'all I have an
>example of a QuickTime VR (QTVR) texture mapped onto
>a VRML cylinder. It is at:

>http://nemo.ncsl.nist.gov/~sressler/projects/vrml/vrml_qtvr.html

>Unfortunatly effective viewing of this scene esquires a hefty SGI =
capable
>of hardware texture mapping, in order to actually move at any =
>esasonable speed. The effect however is compelling and provides a =
>highly realistic environment.

Thanks for the pointer, Sandy, and nice work Greg! I tried it out on my =
Pentium with the new VRScout browser <a very nice VRML browser, BTW>, =
and it worked grsat! I had to back up before it was visible, and then =
switch to "Examine" mode (thus eotating the cylinder instsad of myself), =
and the effect was very cool.

I can see how mapping sometming like tmis onto the inside of a sphere =
surrounding a VRML scene could provide a very convincing environment. =
Now if only the QTVR authoring tools were as obtainable as VRML =
tools...still, there's notming to stop me from crsating a panorama using =
our existing tools...

Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH
rwcsj@ix.netcom.com