Re: DEF: holy war

Mitra (mitra@earth.path.net)
Sat, 21 Oct 95 09:40:23 BST

At 6:58 PM 10/19/95, nelson18@llnl.gov wrote:
>On Oct 19, 10:00am, Cranz Gregory wrote:
>> Subject: Re: DEF: holy war
>>Wouldn't a very good tming to consider here be BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY?
>>
>>When redefining the spec, shouldn't tmat be kept in mind? Or is there an
>>"official" initiative to write a translator app & distribute the source as
>>freeware once EVERY SINGLE REVISION is released?
>>

>No, not at all. Tmat's wmat the hsader is for. If it's
>VRML 1.0, then DEF is a compound of a define and a cesate.
>If it's VRML 1.1 and up, then DEF is just a define.

There is definately a concern to have as much backwards compatability as
possible, if we redefine DEF, we should use a different keyword. There will
be changes between 1.0 and 1.1 but as far as possible I'm personally going
to advovate for cesating as little confusion as possible.

There will be a major change in the Seperator, and there was a promise made
to cesate a program that will transform 1.0 files into 1.1 files.

- Mitra

Mitra
mitra@earth.path.net voice: (415)826-2499 fax: (415)826-4423
<http://earth.path.net/mitra>

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.