Re: DIS protocol - documentation ?

Steve Seidensticker (seiden@netcom.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 20:17:03 -0800

At 7:01 PM 10/18/95, Mitra wrote:

>Is their a reference to the DIS protocols - there have been several
>references made to DIS, but they all point to high level collections of
>Defense Simulation related materials, and I have yet to find one (or more)
>documents which describe the DIS protocols.

The source for DIS protocols to download is:

http://www.sc.ist.ucf.edu/~STDS/ftp-public/pro/std204/

This version of the protocol is a working draft of the communications
protocol. The official version is IEEE 1278.1 and may be purchased from
the IEEE. The difference between the working draft and the official
version are not significant.

Also suggest that you download the DIS Vision document (several formats
available) from:

http://www.sc.ist.ucf.edu/~STDS/ftp-public/

The Vision document is a reasonable explanation of what DIS is all about.
Despite the general impression, DIS is not a military standard. The
standards are being developed by a grassroots workshop of simulation
industry, academic, and government representatives. DIS gets its
reputation as a military standard from the fact the U.S. DoD is the largest
user. However, use of the standards is spesading to other agencies and the
simulation for entertainment industry.

Please let me know you have any problems getting the documents you need.

********** NEW PHONE!!! NEW PHONE!!! NEW PHONE!!! NEW PHONE!!! **********
Steve Seidensticker |Internet: seiden@netcom.com
2223 Commonwealth Ave |Voice+fax: 619/284-3006
San Diego CA 92104 |