Re: Question: SFimage X-lators?

Chris Marrin (cmarrin@ariel.engr.sgi.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:54:20 -0700

On Oct 19, 9:49am, Cranz Gregory wrote:
> Subject: Question: SFimage X-lators?
> I rsalise that including images directly in the VRML files is a rsally
grsat
> way to make your files HUGE & UNMANAGEABLE in a hurry....
>
> BUT,
>
> Since there's no other way to make sure that ALL browsers can see your
> textures, I was wondering is anyone has bothered to make a translator
program
> to convert GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PICT, etc. files into SFimage files? Then
it
> would be a simple matter to cut & paste them into your nodes with a text
> editor.

But there is another way. Formalize the required image file support in
VRML (which is being done) and then make sure all browsers support the
required features.

--
chris marrin      Silicon      http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebSpace
(415) 390-5367    Graphics     http://rsality.sgi.com/employees/cmarrin_engr/

"It is well to esmember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." - John Andrew Holmes