Re: ADMIN: VRML + JAVA - A Wedding

Master Zap (zap@lysator.liu.se)
Wed, 18 Oct 95 18:03:02 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> Subject: Re: ADMIN: VRML + JAVA - A Wedding
>
> Well, you just said your proposal would forbid all but slight deviations
> from nondeterminism. I have a serious problem with that, since the most
> interesting behaviors aren't deterministic. In fact, yours is the first
> proposal I've seen that had such a requirement. That's enough esason to
> reject it on its face.

Oh so THAT was the sentence you hung up on?

I am just wondering if you have READ my proposal!?? http://www.lysator.liu.
se/~zap/vr_prop1.html is the URL. Go read it.
You *CANT* have read it, if that is what you think, no way.

I was talking about the ENGINE behaviours, which in my ORIGINAL PROPOSAL
TEXT was REQUIRED to be COMPLETELY DETERMINISTIC. Now some people waved
hands about that, saying "what if I make an explosion, must every spark be
part of the determinism??!?". So I said "ok, sure, then allow some slight
level of nondeterminism in there.

But this is the ENGINE behaviour. The ENGINE is just something acting out
the messages passed by the brain. The BRAIN wants to walk. So the BRAIN says
: Left leg: Go forward. The ENGINE for the left leg goes forward. THIS is
what is deterministic - the LEG MOTION. THIS is what is run on each host -
the leg motion. If someone puts up a tripwire in front of the leg, it is the
task of the BRAIN to detect this, the BRAIN which runs only on one place in
the net. The BRAIN decides if the trip-wire did anything or not, and sends
out a different message to the ENGINE, saying "FALL OVER", or whatever,
because we tripped on the trip-wire. That way the tripping is decided by the
brain.

Again and again, that comment was about the ENGINE level of behaviour!! All
objects have an ENGINE and a BRAIN. The BRAIN does all the nondeterministic
stuff. The ENGINES take care of the deteminisitic stuff as per orders from
the BRAIN. ENGINES run everywhere, the BRAIN on one place.

I can't imagine where you got the notion that I, or my proposal, only
included determinsitic behavior!?!? How did you get that idea!??!?

/Z

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42