Re: Why does DEF do instancing? (fwd)

Bernie Roehl (broehl@coulomb.uwaterloo.ca)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:30:20 -0400

Chris Laurel writes:
> Finn Aarup Nielsen writes:
> > I seems stranges to me why the DEF command is instancing.
> I think that this is a bit annoying also . . . generally, when I DEF
> things I stick them inside a Switch with whichChild set to -1 so that
> the DEF'd node gets parsed, but not instanced. Which leads me to ask
> the question: this is legal, portable VRML right?

Yes, it's legal. Yes, it's portable. And yes, it's an ugly kludge that
could be avoided by having a non-instancing DEF.

The only argument I've heard against it is that QvLib would need to be
changed, which seems like a fairly minor point...

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering