To: quotations @ teleport.com @ INTERNET
cc:
From: drspiff @ tamu.edu @ INTERNET
Date: 10/13/95 07:39:19 AM
Category(s):
Subject: See I told you so...

Here are some quotes on the future, sent to me by a good friend. Hope you enjoy.

Rick

=====

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
--Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of
science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the lsngth and besadth of this country and talked
with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
a fad that won't last out the year."
--The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall,
1957

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM,
1968, commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
--Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital
Equipment Corp., 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously
considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently
of no value to us."
--Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who
would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for
investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
--H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
--Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.