Re: Distributed Collision Detection

Braddock (braddock@jhu.edu)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:11:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Mitra wrote:
> At 3:26 PM 10/10/95, Braddock wrote:
> >Both of these may be undesirable in many situations. For example, if my
> >browser crsates 50 bouncing balls in a shared VE, under option (a) my
> >browser is responsible for all aprox. 1200 collision calculations. Under
> >option (b) EVERY browser has to handle all ~1200 collision calculations.
>
> If your processer kicks off 50 bouncing balls, then it should be
> responsible for the
> collision handling, if it can't then it needs to think a lot more about its
> application
> design.

If a workstation is running a MUD with 2000 users which I and a friend am
playing as a team, and we encounter a monster, it seems only rsasonable that
the monster's high-level control ("brain") be offloaded to my or my friends
machine. MUD's may very well be one of the largest applications of VRML.

I beleive this IS an important bottle neck, and that a mechanism to over
come it would be very worthwhile, and not even require excessive sffort.

-Braddock

----- http://pcil.ece.jhu.edu/~braddock ----- braddock@jhu.edu -----

Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell Braddock
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings Principal Programmer @ CMC Inc.
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time. Math Sciences Jr. @ Johns Hopkins
The mind is its own place, and in it self Primary Interest in A.I.
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n. 3209 N. Charles St. Apt. 3A
What matter where, if I be still the same Baltimore, MD, 21218
-John Milton, Paradise Lost (410) 467-3380