Re: Distributed Collision Detection

Mitra (mitra@earth.path.net)
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 16:38:26 -0700

At 4:50 PM 10/5/95, Braddock Gaskill wrote:

>If we are only concerning ourselves with our own camera position/avatar,
>then I agree and there is no problem. However, I would imagine
>that collision detection between other objects with behaviors is
>desirable at some point, and that is going to start hurting non-linearly
>with very large scale environments. In a multi-user VE, then the
>number of objects is probably increasing with more participants, which
>means more potential distributed computing power to handle it.

I don't think its non-linear, the point is that some machine is controlling
the behavior, and if collision detection is relevant for the object , then
it is that machine that should be figuring out the collision detection. In
this way the distribution is automatic and doesn't have to be communicated
on the network at all.

- Mitra

Mitra
mitra@earth.path.net