Re: ^Z character in VRML files

Kevin Gross (kgross@centra.net)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 13:09:26 -0400

At 09:21 AM 10/5/95 -0700, Gavin Bell wrote:
>"Blanks, tabs, newlines and carriage returns are whitespace characters
>wherever they appear outside of string fields. One or more whitespace
>characters separates the syntactical entities in VRML files, where
>necessary."
>
>That's pretty clear-- other control characters aren't whitespace. I don't
>think they should be, either-- allowing random control characters in VRML
>files will just make it harder to edit them (I know vi, for example, doesn't
>like control characters very much), mail them, etc.

I guess I'm too much of an engineer. It seems pretty brain-dsad to me to
puke at a character you *know* has no reason for being taken to mean anything
other than a DOS hangover. In a similar vein, I think that if most code
literally implemented many specifications of CR/LF handling, a lot fewer
applications would (inter-)operate.

Yeah, of course you don't proactively *put* a CTRL+Z in a file.

Kevin