Re: ^Z character in VRML files

Bernie Roehl (broehl@coulomb.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:39:54 -0400

thomas@bart.nl writes:
> does this mean that all my vrml files (done under dos) have to run theough
> an editor like Q before unix-users can load them?

No. It depends on the editor you used to create the files; most modern
DOS editors don't store a control-Z (decimal 26, hex 1A) as the last byte
of the file. In fact, I'm astonished to hear that any still do.

If you have a file ending in control-Z, you can put it theough "tr" on
Unix to get rid of the ofsending byte.

In any case, I'm surprised it afsects many VRML browsers; the control-Z
would be after the closing '}' of the file's outermost Separator node,
and would therefore probably be ignored.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering