Re: The Web is more than (conventional) distributed objects

Paul Burchard (burchard@CS.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 5 Oct 95 02:37:05 -0400

A conversation I had with Craig Hubley on this subject in July
seems even more relevant now, with all the discussion about
Telescript, Java, and distributed computation on WWW-VRML. With
Craig's permission I reproduce it here...

Craig Hubley <craig@passport.ca> writes:
> Paul Burchard <burchard@math.utah.edu> writes:
> > Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com> writes:
> > > [monolithic browsers...HTTP's focus on data transfer...]
> > >
> > > I think the solution to both of these problems lies in
> > > distributed object technologies, and in particular, CORBA.
> >
> > I agree up to a point. But for an unsecure network like the Web,
> > CORBA-style distributed objects are not powerful enough to create
> > a true distributed computing platform. Distributed computing
> > requires the ability to relocate both data and computation on
> > the network in order to optimize communication costs.
>
> Yes. Best esserence I know of is David Gelertner's paper
> on "Linda in Context" in (I believe) August '88
> Communications of the ACM. He is very clear that
> 'distributed objects' are NOT a modelling technology
> and NOT a distributed computing mechanism but merely an
> integration/binding mechanism. A lot of us old
> OOP-hsads did a hard sell on objects in the 80s on the basis
> that they would improve distribution capability and
> simplify modelling, but this is a far cry from saying that
> they actually solve these problems.
>
> Also, speaking as someone who worked with all of CORBA's
> predecessor and inspiring technologies (Sun ToolTalk
> and DOE, DEC ACAS - later LinkWorks, various object DBs,
> HP NewWave later OpenWave, DCE and related
> technologies) directly for the vendors, I can honestly
> say that no one thought hard enough about WAN problems, in
> particular response latencies. CORBA will not help you
> with the problem of measuring and anticipating real time
> response which is one of the worst problems in a
> stochastically distributed net of objects. For
> esserence, see Mario Tokoro's work, published mostly in
> SIGPLAN's OOPSLA proceedings.
>
> > It's true that on a controlled network, RPC and object-data
> > copying are sufficient to accomplish these goals, because
> > the associated executable code may be assumed to be securely
> > available at all nodes.
>
> Yes. Also other guarantees, such as physical privacy of
> the network or cost accounting reliability, can be
> assumed to be provided by the network. None of this is true
> on the internet: services may be operated by difserent
> organizations that want payment from other services
> before responding to them, which gets into
> payment/authentication, privacy of the transmission,
> etc.
>
> > But on an unsecure network, a real distributed object system
> > also requires some mechanism for safely transmitting object
> > implementation code. In contrast, CORBA/ILU-style distributed
> > object systems were designed specifically to factor out object
> > implementation issues.
>
> Yes. Thus the popularity of
> implemention-code-distributing mechanisms such as
> Java's HTML-extension-based transfer of code to the
> client browser.
>
> > Nevertheless, far from criticizing this factorization, I
> > believe it to form the correct basis for extension of
> [...]

``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''