Re: VRML 1.0

Colin Dooley (cdooley@ibm.net)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 23:01:23 GMT

At 09:37 4/10/95 -0700, you wrote:
>It is a philisophical thing-- VRML describes what a scene is, NOT how
>it should be drawn. Turning on/off backface removal is a how-to-draw-it
>operation. Specifying that shapes are solid and that they have
>consistently ordered polygons doesn't restrict how the shapes should
>be drawn.

It should do.

The problem I had was a model with two back-to-back polygons (coplanar).
With backface culling turned off, there was a z-buffer problem, with the
graphics "flimmering" badly. With backface culling turned on, the model
draws perfectly (as the modeller intended, not as some viewer decided to
interpret somebodys intentions...).