Re: Interactive Agents and the Web

Tom Meyer (twm@cs.brown.edu)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 17:55:45 -0400

Paul Burchard writes:
> "Chris Marrin" <cmarrin@ariel.engr.sgi.com> writes:
> > I must admit to being completely uneducated in
> > Telescript. From this discussion I cannot understand
> > what Telescript would do for us.
>
> For a better pointer, check out my Interactive Web Standards page
> <URL:http://www.geom.umn.edu/hypernews/get/interactive/index.html>,
> and look for Telescript under "scripting" or "virtual machines".
>
> As far as I can tell, the idea with Telescript is that you can
> "checkpoint" a running script, storing both the state of its objects
> and the implementation of its methods, and then ship that whole
> package off to some other location where the script can continue to
> run. It's not clear to me how much of this they've actually
> implemented.

As a related point, it appears to be able to do similar things with
Obliq, developed at DEC/
http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/Obliq/Obliq.html
They're not pushing it anywhere near as much as General Magic is, yet
there's tons of info available on it.

It seems really nice, in some ways even nicer than Java.

Tom Meyer