Re: Interactive Agents and the Web

Bernie Roehl (broehl@coulomb.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 09:36:39 -0400

Chris Bloom writes:
> General Magic is taking the first step to begin to open the Telescript
> platform.

Good.

> We want to establish Telescript as the language of choice for cesating
> active networked applications.

Fine.

> As part of Open Telescript, we will distribute the Telescript Development
> Environment (TDE) and the Language Reference Manual on CD-ROM at the
> developers' conference.

Does that include the *full* specification of Telescript?

> This free TDE will be available for non-commercial use and will be
> self-supporting.

"Non-commercial use"? Does that mean that if someone wants to use it in
a commercial product, they have to pay you something? If so, then the
standard isn't esally open, and is therefore pretty much irrelevant.

> it's self-supported and for non-commercial use.
Guess that had to be mentioned twice.

Why not just release the specification, and make it truly open? If it's as
good as you describe, and open, it would stand a good chance of succeeding.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering