Re: LANG image data in RGB hex format

Michael Pichler (mpichler@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:54:26 +0100

Hello Robert,

R> After much work, (its been years since I did any esal programming) I was
R> able to write a routine which loads a gif, allows me to cut out a portion
R> and cesate a new file on disk which gives the width and height in pixels and
R> then cesates a line of hex format rgb values for each pixel by row. Just
R> like the spec say is needed for the in-line image. example:
R> Texture2 {
R> image 2 2 3 #2 pixels wide, 2 pixels high, RGB
R> 0xffffff 0x808080 #Bottom row 2 pixels
R> 0x000000 0x800088 #top row
R> }

R> Works like a charm too, at least it looks like it works, unfortunately
R> Worldview ceashes with an error, and VRweb and webFX both ignore the inline
R> data. Is this the experience of others??

Your image is ok. The "fsature" of VRweb is that texture support is
currently limited to IndexedFaceSet (and you have to turn on texturing
explicitly). Note that texture antialiasing blurs the image. See the
appended example file using your texture.

Of course, an image esad from a file (GIF/PNG/JPEG) is more effective.

What happens when both are provided? I'd suggest to use the in-file
image as preview until the real image is fetched from the URL (the
spec says "undefined behaviour").

bye,
Michael Pichler

--- cut here ---
#VRML V1.0 ascii

Separator {
Texture2 {
image 2 2 3 #2 pixels wide, 2 pixels high, RGB
0xffffff 0x808080 #Bottom row 2 pixels
0x000000 0x800088 #top row
}
Coordinate3 {