Re: Portals vs Links

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@cnt.com)
Wed, 10 May 1995 13:20:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 10 May 1995, Mark Waks wrote:

> Mark Weber writes:

> I'm really curious about some of the projects to create
> virtual cities and stuff with VRML 1.0 -- it seems to me that these
> are necessarily going to be *huge* files (if they are done as a single
> .wrl), or a little clunky to move around in (if they are in multiple).
> I see using "portal walls" as the right way to do this -- have, say,
> each block be a single .wrl, with full-size portals at the ends, and
> let the more powerful browsers (and better Net connections) pull in
> stuff down the street as they have time. Modular cities...

Hmmm.

"Mr. Beezer, we have noticed that you stopped paying the rent on your
Boise virtual shopping area 37 seconds ago. For that reason we have backed
up your building to magnetic tape, and re-allocated your streetcorner to
another PAYING customer. If you have a problem with this, please link to
"vwtp://virtual.real.estate.com/USA/boise/idaho/metro_holdings.html". In
the future, please try to remember, our terms are Net 10 Seconds.

---
Andrew C. Esh                 mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology   andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
6500 Wedgwood Road            612.550.8000 (main)
Maple Grove MN 55311          612.550.8229 (direct)
<A HREF="http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes">ACE Home Page</A>