Re: LANG: Text in VRML

Doug Rabson (dfr@render.com)
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:13:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, steve wrote:

> > > Is it obvious to everyone on this list that the current vrml, as spec'ed,
> > > can be made to run fast on a pentium/power-pc class machine?
> > >
> > > It's NOT obvious to me. Clearly, VRML, in the form of Iris Inventor,
> > > runs fine on SGI boxes (and I've seen betas on other platforms). But
> > > in all cases, (SGI & betas) Inventor is built on OpenGL, which had
> > > just been flamed for poor performance. So ... what are we saying, again?
>
> Take a look at Microsoft-RenderMorphics RL - it's fast, does a lot
> better on SGI's than openGL, and works well on PC's (OK on a 486, and
> runs like a storm on pentiums). You don't NEED an SGI to get good
> graphics performance - it's just easier that all!

I should mention here that RL's requirements for texture mapping are less
strict than OpenGL. It does do perspective correction, with a
performance cost but it does not do subpixel correction or anti-aliasing
(yet).

It is not quite as fast as Doom but it will allow arbitrary viewpoints
and complex lighting.

--
Doug Rabson, RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
					Phone: +44 171 251 4411