Re: Re[2]: proposed new Media Type application/iges

Ed Levinson (elevinso@Accurate.COM)
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:42:09 -0500

Keith Moore and Mitra posit the following reasons for a 3D
Content-type.

One can forward a 2D image to a fax and you can't do that with
a 3D one.

2D viewers exist that handle multiple 2D formats; similarly
for 3D viewers. Hence different default behaviour or separate
mailcap entries for 2D/* and 3D/* make sense.

The problem for me is that these arguements can be made for a
"spreadsheet" type as well. Perhaps this points to a fundamental
problem with the MIME audio and image types, the justification for
them being at the top level is not strong. Finally, I observe that
there is an implicit identity, image == 2D. Does that need to be?

Question. Does it make sense to register IGES as application/iges
while the introduction of a 3D type moves through the IETF? The
practical experience might shed light on these issues.

Best.../Ed