Re: Creating Objects (was: Re: WWWInline; include non-VRML data?)

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 16:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Lew Hitchner wrote:
> So, my point is: Should there really be such a thing as a "virtual
> world browser"? If so, does that imply that a VR browser isn't true or
> complete VR? And, if that is so, what should the paradigm be for using
> Web links to virtual world databases that we can not only visit
> (browse) but interact with (edit) as well. Perhaps two paradigms are
> needed: a passive browser as well as some kind of an active
> interaction system.

Well, I think you'll see the static-web paradigm start to shift soon
anyways. The world wide web right now is like a giant library, but you
forgot to bring a pen, and there's no one else actually physically there.
That will change, for sure. One application I've been spending all my
time on (which is why my direct participation here has been so quiet
recently) is a general purpose conferencing system for our new online
effort called HotWired (launching any day now ;). It makes heavy use of
forms and user authentication to create a space for discussion to take
place, where people will be able to write in arbitrary HTML. If this goes
well, we're also thinking about other collaborative art/genetic algorithm
projects in still-imagery, audio, maybe even video. There are quite a
few examples of this out on the net already for those interested.

Another pointer along these lines is the work Ubique is doing - I'll let
their web space speak for itself. <http://www.ubique.com/>.

Anyways, there's nothing inherent about the Web that makes it static.
It's just that people are just now discovering what they *can* do with
dynamic space.

Brian