Re: my two more 2 cents on VRML (was Scripts vs. APIs)

Linas Vepstas (linas@innerdoor.austin.ibm.com)
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 16:09:10 -0500

> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 16:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com>
> Subject: Re: my two more 2 cents on VRML (was Scripts vs. APIs)
>
> Many of the issues that are being discussed (APIs/scripts, network
> caching, etc.) have been hashed out long ago.

The U.S.Constitution was hashed out over 200 years ago. That hasn't
prevented an ongoing debate for the need to change it, re-interpret it, etc.

> 6 weeks ago I put up a
> survey to guage the opinion matrix of the list members - what features
> should definitely be in the first cut, which ones should be delayed, and
> which ones we probably should never worry about. Three weeks ago I
> compiled and posted the results of that survey. It's available at:
>
> http://www.wired.com/vrml/arch/0458.html
>
> I have yet to truely convert it to proper HTML, but Hypermail converted
> the important elements correctly.

Although I beleive I took part in the survey (I only found out about
your VRML mailing list the day before the survey deadline!), I think
that you may want to assume that some of your subscribers did not. It
is also possible that opinions have changed since the time of the survey.

--linas

BTW, I'm feeling like I'm getting picked on, which I don't like,
and find especially peculiar since I thought I was supporting &
elucidating the mainstream & majority position.