Re: PHIL: What's outside VR?

Linas Vepstas (linas@innerdoor.austin.ibm.com)
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 19:37:49 -0500

> From: Panu Ervamaa <panu@mits.mdata.fi>
> Subject: Re: PHIL: What's outside VR?
> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 1994 01:45:42 +0300 (EDT)
>
> What if someone wants to build an labyrinth with www-links - maybe a
> nice price (room) waiting in the other end of it? There should be a way to get
> really "lost in hyperspace". That means locations ("spaces") that can be reached
> only from the specified positions. (hmm.. random "access-number or key" to the
> destination space -- created and sent to dest. when entering the link?)

Hmm.
I admit I don't really understand the cgi interface to the web servers but ...
one could set it up so that a web server honours an http request only if it
came from a certain machine and/or user. It would only honour that request
if the user had previously visited a certain set of other URLs
(i.e. made it through the maze). In this way, merely handing the URL
to somebody would not be enough to actually "get to it".

--linas