Re: LANG: Dynamic characteristics

John W. Barrus (barrus@merl.com)
Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:13:50 -0400

At 11:32 AM 7/14/94 -0400, Mark Waks wrote:
>Now Inventor *does* have roughly the same view of the world as Geomview, but
>unfortunately the language it is intended for is C++. It's *quite*
>clear to me that any dialect of C would be a mistake -- it's simply
>too much work to parse. So I'm not really in favor of picking up
>Inventor completely wholesale.

Mark, I'm not sure what you mean about the Inventor language being too
difficult to parse.

I wrote a file format about 3 weeks ago for a project I am currently
working on. It seemed fairly complex, but complete. I have a student
working for me who _learned_ lex and yacc _and_ wrote the lex and yacc (.l
and .y) input files to read in and create data structures from my data file
in about 2 weeks.

Although I don't know lex and yacc myself, this would indicate to me that
it probably won't be too hard to write a program to read in a file and
convert it to an in-memory data structure (C or C++) no matter what the
format is. If it is written in C, then no one else has to write it again
(hopefully just small modifications for different systems).

In other words, I no longer think that parsing is the problem. Perhaps I
misunderstood your comment?

By the way, I don't propose that we pick up Inventor wholesale either, just
the relevant parts.

John B.

John Barrus Research Scientist

Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Inc. voice 1.617.621.7535
201 Broadway fax 1.617.621.7550
Cambridge, MA 02139 barrus@merl.com