Re: BA mtg, Language support (kmg@trane.colossal.com)

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 17:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, I'm seriously considering taking out the member-check-before-posting
majordomo feature for this list. There ratio of incorrectly bounced messages
top correctly bounced messages is about 3 to 1. Sorry about this, all.

Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kevin Goldsmith" <kmg@trane.colossal.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 17:31:51 -0700
Subject: Re: BA mtg, Language support (tjc@syl.sj.nec.com)

On Jul 13, 4:51pm, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Subject: BA mtg, Language support (tjc@syl.sj.nec.com)
> I'm wondering if maybe we can all get together sometime and exchange
> ideas? I think we could probably move things forward a little faster
> that way. For those outside the Bay Area, like Florida, and who are
> too lazy to drive ;-), I'd be glad to tape & digitize the proceedings
> and make the .au files available on our anonymous FTP server... For
> the curious, I'm imagining something pretty informal.

What about a birds-of-a-feather at Siggraph?

> The VRML discussion so far has focused around a scene description
> language - and the initial proposals we've seen put forth reflect that.
> Inventor, Labyrinth, Manchester Scene Description Language, etc. All,
> that is, except one: MEME. Meme differs significantly in that, where
> scene description languages are static "snapshots" of reality, MEME
> supports the definition of dynamic scenes, via an integral programming
> language. The importance of this cannot be underestimated. It makes
> possible clocks with hands that move, ceiling fans that rotate, cars
> that drive, etc., all without network communication.

Actually, Inventor can provide motion in scene via what are called
engines, but I won't carry this further until we hash out the language
discussion a bit more.

Kevin

--
The wages of sin are death, but after they take the taxes out, it's more of a tired feeling really.  - Paula Poundstone

kmg@colossal.com unitcirc@netcom.com Web Home Page: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/unitcirc/kevin_home.html