Re: Meme <gavin@krypton.engr.sgi.com> (fwd)

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 15:29:20 -0700 (PDT)

Gavin - are you always on krypton? If so, let me change it so you can
post....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Gavin Bell" <%20(fwd)"gavin@krypton.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 09:41:24 -0700
To: %20(fwd)"www-vrml@wired.com
Subject: Re: Meme

> Basically VRML browsers need to be basically include much of the function
> of a simple interpretive language, and hopefully both a basically object
> oriented one (personal preference, I guess), and one that is not too
> verbose (for efficient use of low bandwidth). In this it would function
> like most existing cross platform packages of various kinds (many database
> packages, for example).

One of the things I really like about HTML is that it is reasonably
easy to write an editor that allows you to read in and then modify any
HTML file.

One of the things I really hate about PostScript is that is is really
hard to write an editor that can edit an arbitrary PostScript file.

Meme strikes me as more PostScript-like than HTML-like; it looks like
it would be easy to write applications that wrote out Meme files, but
it looks very difficult to write applications that provide a
user-friendly interface for editing Meme files.