Re: LANG: OOGL (was Re: LANG: Re: scalability (VRML))

Kevin Goldsmith (kmg@monk.colossal.com)
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 17:51:52 -0700

On Jun 20, 4:43pm, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Subject: Re: LANG: OOGL (was Re: LANG: Re: scalability (VRML))
> It might be that Inventor is too heavy-duty for our purposes - we want
> something so easy to parse that browsers for all platforms can be created
> without too much effort. Inventor might have a lot of pre-made code
> behind it, but if it's only on SGI platforms, and too complex for free
> browsers to be made for other platforms, that's a problem. And I don't
> expect SGI to be making an effort to port to other platforms, simply
> because their software and hardware come as a package.

Inventor is available on a bunch of platforms, but we don't need to use
all of it. We can agree on a subset that will do just what need. As far as
the openess (sp?) of it, SGI is trying to make it a standard for graphics
interchange so it has to be public domain, but I'm trying to get one of the
Inventor guys to comment...

Kevin