Re: LANG: OOGL (was Re: LANG: Re: scalability (VRML))

Sam Hunting (sgmlsh@world.std.com)
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 20:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jun 1994, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> To me, the requirement that the language be as open and
> freely usable as HTML is very important - it's the whole point behind
> this effort.

Then base it on the same ISO standard that HTML is based on -- ISO 8879,
Standard Generalized Markup Language.

> It might be that Inventor is too heavy-duty for our purposes - we want
> something so easy to parse that browsers for all platforms can be created
> without too much effort.

Ditto.

> Inventor might have a lot of pre-made code
> behind it, but if it's only on SGI platforms, and too complex for free
> browsers to be made for other platforms, that's a problem. And I don't
> expect SGI to be making an effort to port to other platforms, simply
> because their software and hardware come as a package.

I should have said, base it on the same *non-proprietary* ISO standard....