Re: LANG: Object Sharing

John W. Barrus (barrus@merl.com)
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 09:06:56 -0400

On Thur, 16 Jun 1994, "Daniel D. Todd" <ddtodd@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Jun 1994, Jeff Suttor wrote:
>This is getting a little afar from field. #D graphics, which are a major
>part of the project here, adre by their very nature a visual experience.
>To someone interested in accessing and representing data this way
>descriptive ascii is ho hum, there are tons of applications that can
>already supply this. while for the visually impaired it is critical and
>a whole lot better than no description of the world, I think we can feel
>pretty safe in not designing our 3d world to best suit the visually
>impaired individuals. In the same fashion most musicians don't write
>their music for hearing impaired audiences. That being said, I do think
>it is important to allow some form of ascii description of the world for
>both the computationally and visually impaired.
>
>cheers,
>Dan

Remember that it is hard to do a search on purely graphical items. What
would the WWW Worm do, for instance, with VRML? Descriptions of items in
the scene could be used for:

- searches
- more detailed descriptions of items while looking at a scene
- text-only clients
- creation and modification notices (Object Geneology?)
- object names

John B.

John Barrus barrus@merl.com

Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories 617.621.7535 (VOICE)
201 Broadway 617.621.7550 (FAX)
Cambridge, MA 02139