Re: two ideas...

Simon Spero (ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:05:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 touch@ISI.EDU wrote:
> I would predict that they would scale to around BW = 7^3, or around
> 350x, and latency would reduce from 2.1 RTT's down to 0.2 RTTs avg
> per request.

I grabbed a copy of the Touch and Farber paper cited earlier in this
thread, which seemed to deal with FTP. This described a pre-send selection
algorithm of sending everything in the currently selected directory. The
Boston University system used a simple 1-level probablistic model to pick
the best candidates for pre-send, and used fare less extra bandwidth,
though with a higher probablity of a cache-miss. There's lots of stuff to
tune with speculation.

Simon