Re: bad-idea-of-the-day: Inline data as URL scheme?

Terry Allen (terry@ora.com)
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:00:57 -0700

Re SGML tools, we found one that respected the limits in the SGML
decl awhile ago. OLIAS? I agree the limits (like capacities) aren't
useful, but that's something to tell to ANSI, where I understand
SGML revision efforts are rooted.

--- Forwarded mail from Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:53:22 -0400
From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
To: connolly@beach.w3.org
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com, www-talk@w3.org
Subject: Re: bad-idea-of-the-day: Inline data as URL scheme?
Sender: www-talk-request@w3.org

Dan says:
>Er... this limit is (a) not a good idea, (b) not enforced except
>in things like SGMLS. I think it should go away (or become 999999,
>at least).

I agree with (a) most emphatically, but (b) is false. I remember
testing the limits on many browsers about 7 months ago, and found
that all had limits (some smaller than 1024), and some even crashed
when the buffers overflowed. Does anyone have new information?

--- End of forwarded mail from Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>

Regards,

--
Terry Allen  (terry@ora.com)   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Editor, Digital Media Group    101 Morris St.

A Davenport Group sponsor. For information on the Davenport Group see ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/davenport/README.html or http://www.ora.com/davenport/README.html Current HTML 2.0 spec: ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-html-spec-05.txt