Re: distinguishing browser types

wmperry@spry.com
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:40:28 +0500

Kee Hinckley writes:
[...]
> Which leads me to another question. Are there any browsers out there that
> actually set the Accept fields based on the helper applications? I know
> Netscape doesn't. It makes it rather difficult to determine what formats
> can be sent to a browser.

Emacs-w3, AIR Mosaic, OmniWeb, and a few others (haven't checked out
EMosaic for a while, sorry).

The main problem is not that they set the accept headers wrong (I don't
think netscape does - are you sure its broken?), but that they do not
specify the maxsize, maxtime or quality attributes on the frigging
things. Which can completely hose things when you then send a */* at the
end, which netscape and mosaic/X both do.

-Bill Perry