Re: Deployment of CCI

Malcolm Vincent (M.Vincent@queens-belfast.ac.uk)
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 14:42:09 +0000

On Tue, 6 Dec 1994 14:34:41 +0100 Joel Crisp wrote:

> [Some stuff cut out from here ...]
>
> I believe that this gives a *much* greater degree of
> integration in the user interface than the current
> situation of totally un-integrated external viewers.
>
> ( Note : I am not suggesting that X-windows be used
> as the page manager, just something like it
> but with a higher level of integration ).
>
> Joel

A good idea.

I think we need a system for running applications which
create their main window in the Viewer window and there is
two way communication with the Viewer window.

The problem that I can see is that we need to support
several platforms here, and the source for one *external*
will need to cross compile, not only on different unix
platforms, but also on micros.

This is not so much of a problem with the unix to MS-Windows
porting since they use a similar window manager idea, and
you can create a child off a window handle without
actually knowing who (or what program) created it.

The Macintosh however does not support this idea at all, the
idea of child interface objects not existing on the Mac.

Any ideas on this?

I'm writing a cross platform application framework which
supports this kind of idea but can only implement it on
the Mac as a series of applications communicating by
AppleEvents.

This is NOT enough!

Hopefully...
Malcolm.