SUMMARY Help with httpd/wais.pl

Ray W. Hiltbrand (Ray.W.Hiltbrand@eng.auburn.edu)
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 14:51:21 -0600

It appear that many folks have been having a problem with this.
And the winner is:
>From: Jonny Goldman <jonny@Synopsys.COM>
I had similar problems when trying to use my HTTP/WAIS gateway (fwais.pl)
under other SYSV based UNIX's.

There were two problems, one in search and the other in retrieval. Both
were related to the fact that vsprintf in SYSV dies when it attempts to
print a "%s" that is NULL.

The solutions were:

1. Set some environment variables in the script:

if (! $ENV{'USER'}) { $ENV{'USER'} = "nobody";}
if (! $ENV{'HOME'}) { $ENV{'HOME'} = "/";}

2. Set a dummy "document name" when attempting to retrieve:

print TMP " :headline \"foo\" :number-of-bytes -1 :type \"$type\"\n";

I don't know if the second problem exists in wais.pl. No doubt the first
does.
The first worked...

Thanks to all who responded:
gra@zeppo-sa.East.Sun.COM