Re: hmmm... servers producing per-browser customised output.

Robert A. Lentz (lentz@annie.astro.nwu.edu)
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 10:36:19 -0600 (CST)

Paul Phillips writes:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, anthony baxter wrote:
> > I'm dreading the day where pages are just one large imagemap gif of the
> > page, exactly as the provider wants it to look.
>
> No no, one large imagemap jpeg. Scarcity of resources and all that...

Sometimes there seems to be an interesting dichotomy growing with regard to
presentation. There exists a noble wish to restrict HTML to primarily a
logical markup language. Those who wish control over presentation are often
pointed towards an external format such as PDF, or reduced to having to use
bitmapped images. Yet, it seems that such a solution is the worst possible
solution since we lose all logical markup (and most presentation control for
the user). It seems that an early appearance of style sheets (and HTML 3.0)
is our only hope. (Will MCom be the savior? They certainly appear to be in
the strongest position right now.)

(I also seem to recall that a year ago the HTML spec gave suggestions for
how the browser might display the elements. This seems to have been lost
in the specs that have appeared since.)

Just what I think I see,
-Robert

--
lentz@annie.astro.nwu.edu            http://www.astro.nwu.edu/lentz/plan.html
	"You have to push as hard as the age that pushes against you."