Re: File upload in HTML forms

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Mon, 17 Oct 94 05:18:00 PDT

Larry Masinter writes in <94Oct15.171137pdt.2760@golden.parc.xerox.com>:
>(8) isn't necessarily done by the browser, but by a 'helper'
>application that can deal with the file upload request. The browser
>doesn't send them to the *same* CGI script, but rather sends back a
>set of transfer requests.
Which requires no state, no connection, and no changes to HTTP. I think I
have even seen on the list mention of similar "multiple sequential script"
schemes in other contexts. The osmotic pressure of a new idea must not have
been quite enough to penetrate my thick skull last week :)...

So -- what say you, browser writers? This capability is a powerful
extension of the Web. But it needs to be: a) added to HTML; and b) coded
into a browser. Any takers?
Mark Fisher Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com Indianapolis, IN

"Just as you should not underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
traveling 65 mph filled with 8mm tapes, you should not overestimate
the bandwidth of FTP by mail."