Re: asynchronous callbacks (was: Forms support in clients)

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@virginia.edu)
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 13:16:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Sep 1994, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Sounds like a useful variation. I had trouble in my "assocation"
> mechanism mentioned in another message about buffering response
> traffic when the other party is down. And I've always thought that
> it might be nice at times to let the server hold things and do some
> polling as an alternative.
>
> The problem is, how long does the server hold on and wait before
> throwing the result away? This is solveable.

Client tells server a preferred window to respond ( we need a syntax
for this, to be able to say "you can get me Mon-Fri between 6 and 9 PM",
and all the typical variations. ) which can ( and should ) include
a maximum limit. Server can reply and say, "OK, except that *my* max
is 3 days. If I can't reach you before than, I'm going to discard
the document."

-- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> --
-- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics --
-- Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 --
[ "Cheese is more macho?" ]