Re: An IETF working group for HTTP?

Randy Forgaard (forgaard@ferguson.com)
Tue, 20 Sep 94 20:35:53 EDT

> Dave Raggett writes:
>
> > I believe that the time has now come to develop HTTP as an IETF backed
> > protocol with the standard defined as a sequence of RFCs.

It sounds like the MIT/CERN consortium (with Tim Berners-Lee) has the same
goal, of enhancing HTTP in a controlled manner, and as an open standard free
from proprietary commercial interests. What would be the relationship between
the proposed IETF working group for HTTP (in the above message), and the
MIT/CERN efforts? We would want to avoid the Unix syndrome of multiple
standards. Maybe the two groups could work together to propose and ratify the
same extensions to the HTTP standard, with the IETF body giving the unified
standard enhanced credibility?

Randy Forgaard
Internet: forgaard@ferguson.com