Re: Conversion Programs? HTML complexity/compliance issues

James (jtilton@willamette.edu)
Sun, 17 Jul 1994 23:04:39 -0700

At 10:21 PM 7/11/94 +0200, John Lewis wrote:
>I have a feeling that many of us are still creating and maintaining HTML
>documents manually. In my view, the reason for this is that:
>
>1) There is not a basic "Do this and Don't do That" document regarding HTML
>creation. The intro to HTML doc's I've come across discuss the minimal HTML
>coding needed. However, they do not go into details about what to do and
>not to do to make the documents as complient as possible with regard to
>future generations of HTML.

I've got a document that is hardly the be-all and end-all of how HTML should
and shouldn't be composed, but is still a fairly comprehensive shot at
what you're asking for. My disclaimer, tho, is that it still needs polishing,
and I'm sure some of it is out-of-date or innaccurate since January, when
I wrote it.

It's called "Composing 'Good' HTML", and it's at
"http://www.willamette.edu/html-composition/strict-html.html". Comments are
welcome, but I doubt it'll get modified until August (when the happy
coincidences of free time and free access once again conflate...).

Cheers,

-et