Re: Why the Web needs to change

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@simplon.ICS.UCI.EDU)
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 18:24:41 --100

Piglet writes:

> Being fairly new to this discussion group, I really don't know
> how new the ideas I am presenting here are. Comments welcome!

[nice story deleted]

So, to make a long story short, you want hierarchical, caching proxy
servers that use location-independent URNs. Join the crowd ;-)
Actually, I think you will find that URNs are only useful when the
document is a fixed standard, such as an Internet RFC, or externally-
published book, but that is an even longer story.

I suggest looking at the hypertext archive of this mailing list
at <http://gummo.stanford.edu/html/hypermail/archives.html>
and reading all the threads on caching, forwarding cache requests,
and URNs. This is going to take a while, but it's the only way to
find out what's already been discussed.

Cheers,

...Roy Fielding ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine USA
(fielding@ics.uci.edu)
<A HREF="http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding">About Roy</A>

[Please note that our WWW server and all mail connections to UC Irvine
will be down this weekend (April 2, 01:00 GMT through April 4, 16:00 GMT)
due to a local power shutdown]