From: koblas@netcom.com (David Koblas)
Subject: Re: Configurable log proposal
To: luotonen@ptsun00.cern.ch (Ari Luotonen)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 00:09:30 -0800 (PST)

>...and what else? I would be happy to implement this. Maybe the %letters
>could be selected in a better way and not respect the ones strftime()
>uses.

%letters is 80's style programming, this is the nineties. After all most of
us probably read enough cryptic files every day. It would be nice if
it was more like:

HTTP:
TIME time
BYTES bytes transmitted
FILE requested FILE
URL requested URL
HOSTNAME client host address
EMAIL user email address
AUTH_USER authenticated username
REMOTE_USER remote ident
METHOD method
HTTP_VERSION protocol version

Where a formatting like would be something like (eg httpd 1.1):

$HOST [$TIME] $METHOD $FILE $HTTP_VERSION

Standard shell formatting rules apply. The only "unanswered" problem is
how to handle $TIME formatting since are two ways you could do it:
$TIME{"%a %b %d %T %Y"}
or
$TIME_WK $TIME_MON $TIME_TIME $TIME_YEAR

[general rule for the above]
TIME_WK abbreviated weekday
TIME_WEEK weekday

Food for thought,