Using ftp:// vs http://

David Bianco (bianco@giant.larc.nasa.gov)
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 21:00:46 GMT

Markus Stumpf writes:

> Now my plea: Could we please use each protocol for what it was designed
> for? I.e. use http for "information" and ftp for "files". I know that
> the difference is rather fluent ...

"Designed for?" Well, we do operate a pretty large software and file
repository here (although the total capacity is measured in
terrabytes, not mere gigs 8-) I provide access to it via http for pure
convenience's sake. Different sites have different needs, so simply
asking everyone to do the same thing is not likely to succeed. I
certainly wouldn't be willing to give up my HTTP gateway. It's too
useful...

David