Subject: Re: Inline Images under A/UX won't display.
Author: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@simplon.ICS.UCI.EDU> at SMTP-GW
Date: 1/7/94 4:04 PM

I wrote:

> That sounds like the same problem I am experiencing with 2-color GIFs
> and Mosaic for X 2.1. They were fine in 2.0, but now they display as
> blank on monochrome screens and sometimes blank/sometimes just faint grey
> (depending on the image) on color screens. I'd bet this has something
> to do with the GIF89 enhancement.
>
> I notified NCSA (but I can imagine they are pretty busy right now) and
> I have a test page setup on <http://www.ics.uci.edu/Test/> if anyone
> wants to try their hand at debugging. Please let me know the results.

Well, after getting several messages from others indictating that
they could see my images just fine, I decided to investigate further.

I pulled down the Mosaic-sun binary from NCSA and tried that -- no change.
I then changed my window manager from Motif 1.2 to Twm and tried it
again -- this time it worked! The problem seems to be somewhere in
the Motif window manager (I SHOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT FROM THE START).

Does anyone know if this is fixed in one of the 1.2.X bug-fix releases that
OSF wants us to pay $1500/year to get?

...Roy Fielding ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine USA
(fielding@ics.uci.edu)