Re: Work on EIT's Web beginning

Kevin 'Kev' Hughes (kevinh@eit.COM)
Sun, 12 Dec 1993 23:52:02 -0800

Jay-C writes:

> Bottom line: we're all excited about you overhauling the web stuff, but
> you'll need to work around the fact that many of us are knowledgeable and
> active in it too. EIT system administration is rarely dictatorial! Instead,
> you might want to just make responsibilities clearer, e.g., by leaving
> /usr/local/www/demos/asiceda owned and maintained by me.

No problem, by no means do I wish to be dictatorial! It would be
a good thing for those involved in the site to have a meeting to discuss
things like:

* the creation of a list of things I shouldn't modify/update.
* the creation of a list of things I should regularly modify/update -
perhaps my "webmaster" role needs to be more clearly defined.
What sort of latitude do I have in rearranging services,
information and graphics?
* who is doing what to the site (who has responsibility for what
pages/programs, what projects to they go under, etc.) The more
I and others know what's on the site, the better I can do my job.
* the creation of a Web posting policy - some method of defining
whose approval must be asked before certain information is put
on the site.
* brainstorming on what features people might like to see on the
site - interactive tours, WAIS indexing, other gateways...?

What does everyone think? I certainly don't want to give you guys
the impression that I'm taking over everything!

-- Kev