Re: mosaic pre6 coming soon, and more forms stuff

Marc Andreessen (marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Tue, 12 Oct 93 13:15:56 -0700

Kevin Altis writes:
> At 10:21 PM 10/11/93 -0700, Marc Andreessen wrote:
> >As I noted last night (and Bill Perry, at least, agreed), I think
> >multiline texts fields should have a different name than single-line
> >text fields. Is "textarea" OK? Also, we have three choices for
> >declaring the size of a "textarea":
> >
> > o SIZE="32x4" as in the original spec
> > o SIZE="32,4" to fit in a little better with other things
> > o COLUMNS=32 ROWS=4 for extreme cleanliness (which is what we
> > currently have)
>
> What I don't understand, is why you have to specify the column and row size
> at all? Are the row and column attributes simply to tell the client what
> size box to create for text entry? Is the multiline text field only going
> to apply to text entry of a particular line length? It seems like we should
> just have a textblock entry where the user can enter an arbitrary amount of
> text and the widget will handle text wrapping and scrolling.

The client needs to have an indication as to how big to make the entry
area on the display (text or GUI). This need not restrict the amount
of text that the user can actually enter -- I'd expect scrolling to be
available.

Marc