re: Questions and comments

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@www3.cern.ch)
Thu, 26 Nov 92 09:44:42 +0100

> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 19:43:50 -0500
> From: Thomas A. Fine <fine@cis.ohio-state.edu>

> Yes, MIME would be good. But would you make WWW pass
> around MIME documents only, with HTML being one of the
> Content-Types,

Yes, this way. I am no great fan of the MIME wrappers
(they are so mail-oriented and human-readable!) but
I am so strongly in favor of merging related technlogies that
I feel MIME should do that, just as SGML should do the
mark-up. So in HTTP2, a document will be returned as
a MIME message. That is one reason for getting
text/html registerd as a MIME format now.

> or would you have http handle several
> different doc types, including both MIME and HTML?

That's too many wheels within wheels.

> tom

Tim