Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 22:44:50 -0800

At 9:35p 12/07/95, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>What has CD-ROM-ness got to do with anything? It shouldn't change the
>>interpretation of STYLE="{font.size: 14}" that I can think of.
>
>How about screen resolution then. 14 point may look big on an SVGA,
>and be unreadable on my display. That is the whole point of
>separation. By removing the platform-specific data out of the content,
>the content become immune to changes in the presentation environment.

Uh, a 14-point font, by definition, takes up 14/72" from the top of the
ascenders to the bottom of the descenders, regardless of how "jaggy" the
output device may be. If your display does not render 14pt fonts close to
that size, then your video configuration is seriously uncalibrated.

>>Because, as a potential consumer of the product, it "feels wrong" to me.
>>Stylesheets feel right, but the inability to put information locally,
>>when appropriate, feels wrong. Intuition, based on experience, tells
>>me I will want to put my fingers where your restriction says I can't...
>
>You will loose in the long run.

You mean <boody>lose</boody>, right? ;)

-Walter

Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com> | Excel | FoxPro | AppleScript |