Re: fwd:Fonts

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Thu, 06 Jul 1995 09:26:14 PDT

hopmann@holonet.net (Alex Hopmann) wrote:
> > > A generic character-level text container tag in HTML 3.0 would be
> > > extremely useful for applying styles to certain blocks of text. I propose
> > > the following tag:
> > > <TEXT>...</TEXT>
> >
> >This would be very useful indeed, and will talk to Dave Raggett about
> This seems similar in intent to the <C> tag that I propsed in my character
> formatting proposal (With the obvious addition of style sheet information).
>
> Is that correct? What are the relative merrits of calling it <C> (character)
> vs. <TEXT>?

The name "FONT" should also be considered, since that's already
deployed as an experimental Netscape extension. (There it's
only used to specify the font size, but other presentation-only
attributes could be added as well). Personally, I prefer "TEXT"
over "FONT" or "C".

I agree that there is a need for such a tag. Although in *most*
cases one of the semantic elements like <EM>, <STRONG>, or <DFN> is
more appropriate, there are plenty of Web pages which apply formatting
for the sake of formatting, and there is currently no general-purpose
semantics-free phrase-level element which can be used for this purpose.

--Joe English

joe@art.com