fwd:Fonts

H&kon W Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 17:22:20 +0200

Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes:

> I agree that numbering style should depend on fonts, but many fonts
> used by paper-and-ink printers have both numbering styles available!

Thanks for posting your comments and suggestions to the whole
list. As you may have seen, they have influenced the draft
specification [1] in the area of *-caps.

More feedback:

> What about the font that contains multiple lower-case a's? At least in
> the context of paper-and-ink publishing, such fonts exist. An
> underlying problem I see is that different fonts have different
> available characters, and we need a way to select not only fonts, but
> *individual characters* by attributes! And, of course, the markup must
> still be readable with non-stylesheet browsers.
>
> Solution: Individual Glyph Selection

Interesting proposal, but it seems a bit too ambitious for the first
version. It may become more relevant as font servers appear on the web.

> Another case: what if I want all occurences of a particular product
> name to appear with a given attribute combination? There is no
> <PRODNAME> tag I could subclass to change the font style, although an
> <EM> *might* work... what if I want all occurences of a certain word
> to appear in small caps? No character-level tag I know of is a good
> substitute for small caps.
>
> Solution: Generic Character-Level Markup
> Font Sub-Styles
>
> Generic Text Entity
> ===================
>
> A generic character-level text container tag in HTML 3.0 would be
> extremely useful for applying styles to certain blocks of text. I propose
> the following tag:
>
> <TEXT>...</TEXT>

This would be very useful indeed, and will talk to Dave Raggett about
it.

> A better font-selection mechanism is also in order. I propose the
> following selection method:
>
> font.family = <font-list>
>
> where
>
> font-list ::= <font> [ ' ' <font-list> ]
>
> font ::= <named> | <described>
>
> Multiple fonts could be specified, with those listed first taking
> precedence:
>
> font.family = font:Bodoni.Win@/~luser/fonts/bodoni.ttf font:Bodoni font:Times

Font lists are in the proposal, but not quite this elaborate. Again,
font servers may change the situation. Does anyone know the
state-of-art there?

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/howcome/