Re: <PAGE> proposal

Arjun Ray (aray@pipeline.com)
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 18:25:33 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Dec 1995, BearHeart/Bill Weinman wrote:

> At 02:00 pm 12/22/95 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >This is a proposal for a simple extension to HTML.
>
> [ . . . ]
>
> >I therefore propose a new tag, <PAGE>. When the browser encounters this
> >tag, it should fill the display area with blank lines to the bottom. The
> ><PAGE> tag should also alter the scroll-forward behavior of the browser so that
> >the space created by <PAGE> expands during scrolling to fill the display
> >area until it is entirely blank, at which point the next scroll-forward
> >skips to-of-display to just past the <PAGE> tag.

what about scroll-backward behavior?

> I like this proposal, but I would suggest that <PAGE> be
> a container as this would fit in more with the style and spirit
> of HTML.
> [...]
> Other containers, like <P> or the pointless kludge <DIV>, could
> be used to temporarily modify the attributes of <PAGE> and then the
> behavior would revert back to that of the <PAGE> when the suborniate
> container is terminated. This could actually be a very elegant way
> to implement some styles, although it's not a complete replacement for
> a style-sheet.

The pointless kludge may in fact be an answer, a Mike Meyer surmised.
Consider <DIV CLASS="Paged">...</DIV>. The semantics of the "paged" CLASS
is that only one DIV is considered "viewable" at any time, i.e. as long
as some part of a DIV is "visible", no other DIV segment should be.

Regards,

Arjun