Re: HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:41:09 PST

Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org> wrote:

> In an effort to:
> (1) get folks to validate documents that use stuff beyond HTML 2.0
> (2) get folks include a DTD when proposing a new feature
> (3) learn what document structures are supported by authoring tools
> (4) specify uses of the text/html media type for stuff beyond html 2.0
> I'm collecting HTML DTDs and DTD fragments, and putting them on the web. It's
> not a registry yet, but it could become one if that looks valuable.

I have written a preliminary DTD for Netscape Frames.
Details are at <URL:http://www.art.com/~joe/frames/>.
This is a just a wrapper around the HTML 2.0 DTD, so it does
not include any Netscapisms other than Frames.

(The comments in the DTD say that it is known by the FPI
"-//Netscape//DTD HTML with Frames//EN", although to
my knowledge Netscape has *not* approved it and does not
support it. I should probably change the owner identifier;
any suggestions as to what I should use?)

I've also got a wrapper that adds the Tables fragment from
draft-ietf-html-tables-02.txt with the RFC1866 DTD; I can
send you that too if you don't already have one.

> I'd also like to get folks to say what DTD their documents conform to, ala:
>
> <!doctype HTML system "http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/html3.dtd">
> <title>...</title>
>
> or perhaps even:
>
> <!doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 24-March-96//EN"
> http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/html3.dtd">
> <title>...</title>

This is an excellent suggestion.

--Joe English